SwamiRecords.com Forum Index

<  SWAMI GENERAL FORUM  ~  Baseball

Duncan Idaho
Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
CryptRocket wrote:
No skin in the game--and as a Reds fan, probably won't for a loooong time--but I'm rooting for the Astros. They've been amazing all year and you gotta love a team winning their first World Series.

Dodgers have also been amazing all year and (so far) have no players found guilty of using racial slurs and gestures.

The phorum member previously known as the other chris.
coyler from the toilet
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Duncan Idaho wrote:

Dodgers have also been amazing all year and (so far) have no players found guilty of using racial slurs and gestures.

Not personally attacking YOU, we're all buds, but I am sure if there were cameras following everyone on the Dodgers 25-man roster, you'd find a piece of shit soon enough. With a quick Google search too I am sure I can find a racist thing a current Dodger has done.

One of my favorite books of all-time is Odd Man Out by Matt McCarthy who was a stud pitcher at Yale (who couldn't break into MLB). The book chronicles his few years in the minors (2002 to 2005 I believe) which includes the overwhelming polarization of the different ethnic groups in the game. He witnessed gestures that were much worse than what Gurriel did.

One thing to consider too--especially with Latin players coming from impoverished countries--is that it's a little harsh to assume a guy goes through the same maturation process as a white player born in the U.S. That's no excuse to make racial slurs and shit, but you gotta figure a substantial amount of players from Latin America have been committed to a Major League club since they were 13 or 14 (officially signing with clubs when they're 16, of course) and have been playing non-stop since.

But yes, the Dodgers have been amazing all year and their foundation is the strongest it has looked in several years. It pisses me off that the Padres passed on Dave Roberts and opted for Andy Green (although, he is growing on me). Kinda funny that just a few years ago AJ Hinch, Roberts--and Buddy Black (who should get Manager of the Year) were all in San Diego. Real funny!

Sorry for the rant. I love baseball, I love coffee, I love typing reeeaaalllll fast.
Thornmerchant
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:33 am Reply with quote
Cutch was traded to the Giants today. That's a trade that caught me off guard. My heart goes out to all the kids in Pittsburgh who just saw their hero shipped.