SwamiRecords.com Forum Index

<  SWAMI GENERAL FORUM  ~  New Gmail? Yes or No...

charles616
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 15 May 2006 Posts: 750 Location: Chicago, Colorado Springs
I just saw the post made about making an "archive" so to speak, and I'm not sure if the Hotcharity gmail is up and running, I was thinking about making another gmail account to serve the same purpose. It would be just the same as the old one but would have more stuff.

Just wanted to know what everyone thought before I did this.
PantherInCrime
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I say keep the old one. It's still up and running

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
use a ftp site!

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:28 am Reply with quote
SW@MI has final say and I know no one wants to step on his toes, but it'd be great if we replaced the gmail with a free, private (e.g. can only be accessed if you have the link, can easily pass that around via email) cloud host. Dropbox, or Skydrive, or Box, or Mega, or...

It'd be a great way to share some huge video files, too, like the stuff that Tashi can only host as a torrent (iirc) for so long.
Tashi
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys and gals...I was talking with John before the show on Tuesday and he suggested that enlist some help from the SW@MI board for getting at least the SW@MI Stuff backed up somewhere besides my hard drive. Myren has most of what I have, Myren has more RFTC than I have...but SW@MI keeps pushing on...so even he needs some of the recent recordings I have....time is ticking for me too...last MRI shows the brain tumor is likely not done growning, despite a fancy radiotherapy that was like 90% sure to kill it...may be looking at surgery in the Fall....Soooo, yeah time to get this stuff to people who dig while I can....still priorties are endless...my 2 year old and wife, selling my records, digitizing analog tape bootlegs of my bands over the years and tons of bands I taped in SF and LA from 1986-1996...I used to tape shows like 3 nights a week back then...lots of sub pop, Am Rep and more...

Gmail and Dropbox are too small to handle all the SW@MI Video and Audio I have...we need a Torrent tracker and somebody with time and tech knowledge to set it up. Suddenly, the idea of having those in "want" just snail mail a teribyte or 2 HD to me sounds easier, drag and drop the "treasure trove to the HD", and pop it in the mail back to you....that way it gets done while I sleep and like zero work involved. The sad truth is, downloading seems to be dropping off...most people just hitting you tube instead...spotify or whatever, yet they are not hearing any bootlegs that way...opting to hear CD rips of studio stuff instead of live sounds. Anyway I am open for all options, only I am already using all my time to keep recording and mixing John's current bands...exhausting sometimes, NOT saying I want him to slow down either...just saying it's hard to balance archiving, daily life, and new shows...all of which are so f-ing important...anyway I am trying and loving it...I will have some download links in the coming weeks here...and insanely good audio recording of RFTC at Alex's especially. -T
bprewitt
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
If SW@MI grants archive.org permission to host bootlegs then we are free to store any and all live audio there. I believe we can upload live video to their Arts & Music video archive (again, with SW@MI's permission), as well, but I might be incorrect.

As far as hosting terabytes of video, it wouldn't really be hard for the more technically minded of us to setup a VPS or cheap colo to host all of it. The issue there would be developing a frontend for it, but that's a $50 Wordpress theme away. Youtube isn't bad at all, as you can still download the source video file with a third party downloader, and it is what I would suggest is easiest/cheapest if there is really that much video around. The only way torrents would be feasible is with a seedbox (as relying on people to seed is a non-starter), which might actually be a cheaper alternative to a VPS/colo. Someone could easily setup opentracker on a $10/month (or less) VPS and we'd be good to go.

Anyway, the cloud providers (e.g. Box, Skydrive, Google Drive, Mega) would be great for hosting the same sort of stuff that is on the gmail + others. Live audio would be best on archive.org, and live video would be best with the aforementioned solutions. Unless someone does want to go through the effort of setting up a seedbox and tracker, in which case, yeah, put everything on there. But I would suggest free solutions over something that could go down if the single point of failure (e.g., the renter) fails to pay the bill.
Bacon Bourbon
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I volunteer to send Tashi a TB HD to be a backup source. Also down to help with web setup and maintenance if needed.

SUIT UP!
Tashi
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Cool...John was right...people here wanna help get this shit backed up...I like it!

Hmmm well thought through...I have several full length Hot Snakes shows up and a Sultans...sometimes Youtube gives me some threats about copyrite crap...but yeah, lets face it, people want to watch streamed content and not have to "seed", store, and organize folders...buy external drives to store it...

The purist in me wants to keep everything 1080p or 480p for DVD's...ISO's with menues, or MKV's...or MPEGs...keeping all audio WAV or FLAC uless MP3 is all I have.....

The realist says get the stuff backed up to someone elses HD while you have breath and time and then let them run with it.

The idealist in me sees that SW@MI's pace and output live these days needs a "SW@MI Bands" Live Archive Website...not a Tashi thing, but a SW@MI thing that is populated by all my bootlegs, and those of others like Myren, or French Guy. I really feel like something magical is happening with SW@MI John's bands right now more than ever...intense, killer shows, blowing away small sold out shows and then vanishing in all the minds but the 150 people who were there...somebody needs to do a Rolling Stone or NY Times bit on John's output in the past 24 months on stages with all the bands he's re-formed again and are as hot or hotter than ever NOW. The world is missing out, right...anyway...Polyanarchy knows how to make websites too...she was gonna make a Tashi site for me....I thought...naw, how about a SW@MI A/V site, as I am just one of many loyal fans wanting to document the magic and give it back to the band and the fans. Ian McKay has a nice Dischord website where you can download tons of full Fugazi audio recordings (in MP3 I think...lossy, but better than nothing) and it's like $5 a download, or name your price. Very well curated....new shows added all the time. Throwing Muses and Kristen Hearsh (50 Foot Wave) have a Free Music web page for her stuff (studio and live) with a Paypal donation link...I try to give 20 bucks from time to time when I download something, since paypal is so easy...it's free though to anybody who can't afford it...no video content though. -T
Tashi
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Regarding You Tube video downloading....I use Clipgrab...works great, but I am pretty sure the download is not the exact full resolution of the original source...a converted version that is "pretty good", but smaller in size for streaming...so YES BB is right...it needs to be backed up on a HD for people like me who want TOP resoulution, audio and video streamed to their big assed 1080P TV's and cranked on their sound system with the giant bass speaker blowing out the deep bass notes and kick drums.....AND...it should be somewhere for people to just click on their phone at Starbucks or on lunchbreak and stream for 5 minutes with the headphones....both are our worlds now...Big Sound, Big Screens, and smart watches with tiny screens...weird. PM me if you have a Terribyte to mail and I can send my address and work out a postage plan. Then, that will get going...then we can see what SW@MI or you Web-smart folk can do for the online hosting presence...good good. -T
CryptRocket
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:16 am Reply with quote
I'm 100% down with helping anyway I can. How many drives do you think you would need, Tashi? Maybe we can start figuring out logistics that way. I'm fine with throwing in cash too to help.

Also, sorry to hear about that latest medical news. Keep your chin up, you're awesome and I'm sending all my good vibes your way.
yakface
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:43 am Reply with quote
Archive.org would be good for the audio at least, it can streamed and downloaded in flac or mp3, the local h one is a good example. Just needs permission from the artist.

https://archive.org/details/LocalH
ballslefty
Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
Can someone provide me with the credentials for the gmail account?
Tom
Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Much love to you, Tashi.

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
ballslefty wrote:

i need the password too please
Tashi
Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Thanks...for the love!

I just got news of a possible "cure" for Melanoma in the news in Utah.
It uses the Herpes virus to kill it. No shit! All these years I tried not to
get it, and now that's what I need? Funny thing is the motto is "Herpes
is for Life" and it still fits, "Cancer patients, Herpes for your LIFE"!!! I love it!

Staying positive and gearing up for Casbah tomorrow! -Tashi
jwr341
Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 01 Jul 2005 Posts: 653 Location: Fort Collins by way of San Diego
jay wrote:
ballslefty wrote:

i need the password too please

Yep this.

Also, best of luck t. There's amazing advances in cancer treatment using viruses. Crazy world we live in.
tobe again
Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I am a complete fucking dullard when it comes to technology, but I'll gladly throw a few dollars in the pot if hard drives or whatever are required (can send by Paypal or whatever) as this is a wise and worthy cause.

Would also be massively into it if (with Sr. SW@MI's consent) a few choice selections got a minor hard-copy boot release on CD or DVD - something tangible I can take off my shelf and play once a manic sunspot (or some similar terrible nastiness) fries the cloud. I used to have so much fun making covers and occasionally writing sleeve notes for bootleg C90s.

I've never got around to even asking for the gmail thingy, but I most likely will somewhen. At least one of my recordings has ended up on there (instrumental Mosquito Rock, Nottingham soundcheck, 1998). Got a few whole shows on cassette somewhere that I'll try and get to someone who can do something with them.

And if anyone has audio from RFTC London Garage 6th Jan 1996, or Hot Snakes at Islington 2005, damn I'd be made up...
Dan B
Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 16 Feb 2005 Posts: 378 Location: Daaan saarrfff, UK
You were at the 1998 Notts show? I did not know that...pre social meeja I s'pose...
ballslefty
Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:17 am Reply with quote
BUMP!
JoshP
Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
The archive website is a great idea. I could also help with any storage that may be needed. I can't supply a server or anything but could definitely throw some hard drives in to help out.

The only negative to having it on the archive website would be if for some reason it ever goes offline.